What is Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)?
Active Directory Domain Services is a server role that allows admins to store and manage resources in a distributed database within a network. The main function of an AD DS role is to store data and manage communication between users and domain controllers. It also controls information rights and data access policies.
I have already given a brief explanation of Active Directory Domain Services in my previous post. To read the full article about logical components of Active Directory Domain Services, Click here
In this article we will discuss all the necessary installation steps of Active Directory domain services in Windows server 2016. Let’s begin,
How to Install Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Roles?
- Open server manager >> go to dashboard >> Add roles and features
- Open server manager >> Manage >> Add roles and features
- Select Radio button (o) Role-based or feature-based installation >> Next
- Choose radio button (o) Select a server from the server pool >> Next
- Select  Active Directory Domain services
- Add features >> Next >> next >> next
- Select  restart the destination server automatically if required >> Click on YES then.
- Click on Install
- You will be prompted to Close after the following page
How to Promote a Server as a Domain Controller (DC) after Active Directory Installation?
- Go to dashboard of server manager (you can see a notification symbol above)
>> Click on the notification icon
>> Promote the server as domain controller
- Select O Add a new forest
>> Give the root domain or the forest root domain name
- Forest functional level
- Domain functional level
- Check  Domain Name System (DNS) server
>> Give Directory Services Restore Mode (DSRM) password
Database folder path: C:\windows\NTDS\NTDS.dit
Log files folder path: C:\windows\NTDS
SYSVOL folder path: C:\windows\Sysvol
You can now check your configuration details by clicking View script
If you followed all above steps properly then you will surely get this page where you can see all prerequisite check successfully
>> Click Install >> An automatic reboot will be done next
After reboot the server manager looks like this,
You can see that AD DS is installed
You can also see your domain name in the local server menu
How to Check that AD DS Role is Installed properly?
- Open server manager >> Tools
*** If you can see the highlighted features on your system then it is confirmed that the Active Directory Domain services (AD DS) role is installed and configured. The highlighted features are,
- Active Directory Administrative Centre
- Active Directory Domain and Trusts
- Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell
- Active Directory Sites and services
- Active Directory Users and Computers
- ADSI Edit
How to Join Client PC into Domain?
To join a client server,
- Go to client PC >> Open server manager >> Go to local server >> Workgroup
- Click on Change
- Select radio button (O) Domain >> Give the domain name >> Select more
- Give the primary Domain Name System (DNS) suffix
- Give the Domain Controller Credential
>> Ok >> Ok
- Close >> Restart now
That’s all for this article. Hope this helps you. Please subscribe our site and give feedback.
Click to know all about,