What is Optical Fiber?
Optical Fiber, also known as Fiber Optic cable, is a fast information transmission medium. It carries communication signals using pulses of light generated by small lasers or light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
It contains minor glass or plastic fibers, which carry light beams and the coating helps preserve the fibers from heat, cold, electromagnetic delay from distinct types of wiring, as readily as some protection from ultraviolet rays from the sun. Fiber optics manages for an essentia;lly faster data transmission than standard copper wires. And the fiber optic cables bandwidth is much higher than other cables.
Advantages of Optical Fiber :
- Fiber cables offer several advantages over traditional long-distance copper cabling.
- Fiber optics have a higher capacity. The amount of network bandwidth a fiber cable can carry easily exceeds that of a copper cable with similar thickness. Fiber cables rated at 10 Gbps, 40 Gbps and even 100 Gbps are standard. Since light can travel much longer distances down a fiber cable without losing its strength, it lessens the need for signal boosters.
- Fiber is less susceptible to interference. A traditional network cab;le requires special shielding (like in STP) to protect it from electromagnetic interference. While this shielding helps, it is not sufficient to prevent interference when many cables are strung together in close proximity to each other. The physical properties of glass and fiber cables avoid most of these issues.
There are two types of optical Fiber cables, They are:
- Single mode Fiber Optic cable
- Multi-mode Fiber Optic cable
Difference between Single mode and Multi-mode optical Fiber cable :
|Type||Single mode fiber optic cable||Multi-mode fiber optic cable|
|Higher Loss, Lower Bandwidth||Lower Loss, Higher Bandwidth|
Difference Between Fiber optic, Twisted pair, Coaxial Cable :
|Type||Fiber Optic Cable||Twisted Pair Cable||Coaxial Cable|
|Type of Bandwidth||< 10 GHz||< 100 MHz||< 1 GHz|
|Typical use||Data communication broadcast||Structured wiring in LAN||Cable TV/ Broadcast Test and instrumentation|
|Benefits||Most bandwidth.Fastest transmission speeds. Immune to EMI/RFI||Inexpensive, relatively easy to install and terminate||Inexpensive, relatively easy to install.|
What is OPGW cable?
Optical Ground Wire or OPGW cable is a dual functioning cable. It serves two purposes in Networking Media. OPGW Cable is mainly used in electric utility industry where it protects all the important conductors from lightning.
Techsikhsha is a technical guide website where you can find various types of troubleshooting. This website is built to help those people who search for a solution in various sites. We are trying to bring most of the relative and common solutions together in one place. Stay with us and help us to grow.