What is RING Topology ?
When each device is serially connected in a closed ring pattern with a single cable then the network system is called ring topology. As a train crosses all the platforms to reach its destination, this topology does the same to pass a message from one node to another node.
This topology creates Half & Full Duplex both. A ring network topology with single connection is called Ring network topology which passes half duplex connection but when topology is built with dual connection it is called Dual Ring topology. The main difference between them is- Dual ring has two way connection and ring topology has single way.
- The network does not do anything without order. It needs to access the token & the opportunity to transmit.
- In this network each & every node has equal access to resources.
- The performance does not get interrupted by any additional components.
- Network server is not needed to control the connection between nodes.
- In this ring network if any node breaks down then the entire network system stops working.
- The speed of transferring data is slower than any other topologies just because a packet of data passes through all the nodes between sender & receiver node.
- The entire network could be affected by moving, adding & changing of devices.