Windows server 2012 and Windows server 2012 R2 are one of the popular OS of Microsoft. This version of windows server is still used in many small companies. Server 2012 R2 is well known for its less resource consumption and smoothness.
So, without wasting time, let’s start with the overview of windows server 2012 R2.
Windows Server 2012 R2 Editions :
There are 9 editions in total,
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Data Center
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2
- Windows storage Server 2012 R2 Workgroup
- Windows storage Server 2012 R2 Standard
- Windows Multipoint Server 2012 Standard
- Windows Multipoint Server 2012 Premium
What is Server Role?
- Server role is a group of role services components that provide some additional capabilities or functionalities to perform. If you are configuring a server for a specific task or role, a number of features will perform the task and the server will act according to the role.
Role deployment also includes the configuration of dependencies.
In server manager 2012 , console servers with a similar role are grouped together.
Windows Server 2012 R2 Roles :
Windows server 2012 R2 supports the following server roles.
- Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)
- Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS)
- DHCP Server
- DNS Server
- File Services
- Print Services
- Streaming Media Services
- Web Server (IIS)
- Active Directory Certificate Services
- Windows Server Update Server (WSUS)
- Active Directory Rights Management Server
- Routing and Remote Access Server, including the following sub-roles:
- Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker
What is Feature?
- Features are components that support or improve the capability or functionality of a server.
For an example, Telnet is a feature that improves the communication option between a server and client.
Features of Windows server 2012 R2:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
- Windows PowerShell
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- BitLocker Drive Encryption
- BitLocker Network Unlock
- Data Center Bridging
- Enhanced Storage
- Failover Clustering
- Multipath I/O
- Network Load Balancing
- Peer Name Resolution Protocol
- Quality Windows Audio Video Experience
- Remote Differential Compression
- Simple TCP/IP Services
- RPC over HTTP Proxy
- SMTP Server
- SNMP Service
- Telnet client
- Telnet server
- TFTP client
- Windows Internal Database
- Windows PowerShell Web Access
- Windows Process Activation Service
- Windows Standards-based Storage Management
- WinRM IIS extension
- WINS server
- WoW64 support
What is Server Manager :
- Server manager is a management console to manage local and remote windows based servers.
- It configure Event Data from Task Menu and Events tile
- It can add or remove roles and features in local or remote windows servers
So these are some technical facts you should know about Windows Server and specifically Windows Server 2012 R2. Now let’s discuss the hardware requirements for Windows server 2012 R2.
Minimum Hardware Requirements for Windows server 2012 R2 :
- Processor Architecture : X64
- Processor Speed : 1.4 GHz
- Memory (RAM) : 512 MB
- Hard Disk Drive Space : 32 GB
** More hard drive spaces are needed if the server has more than 16 GB of RAM.
** Network Giga – 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter, 1 GB/sec connection is ideal.
That’s all for this article. Please let us know if you like our content and please subscribe and share your feedback.
If you want to create a virtual machine of Windows Server 2012 R2, click on the following links to know the steps–
- How to create Virtual Machine in Hyper-V
- How to create Virtual Machine in VMware Workstation Pro
- How to Create Virtual Machine in Oracle Virtual Box